From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: font.eclass add Xorg FontPath elements for non-standard paths
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 22:26:34
1 On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 01:07:08 +0200
2 Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > Hello,
8 >
9 > as Ondrej Grover pointed out on [1], the font.eclass installs font
10 > files and indexes (font.dir, fonts.scale) into sub-dirs of
11 > /usr/share/fonts/, e.g. /usr/share/fonts/terminus.
12 >
13 > These directories are naturally not in the fontpath of Xorg server,
14 > and could not be used without adding these with xset fp+.
15 > As said on the bug, the Xserver itself should be abled to find all
16 > fonts, and it's not the duty of the xinitrc/window-manager to collect
17 > all these paths in the users process.
18
19 Font directories and caching are controlled by fontconfig on modern systems.
20 You don't need to modify fontpath. If you have ancient programs that don't use
21 fontconfig then you can add your own config and not slow down loading of X for
22 everybody else for absolutely no reason.
23
24 > I'd like to propose a patch to font.eclass to add the newly created
25 > paths to the Xorg server configuration via xorg.conf.d files [2].
26 > I contacted fonts alias and, as mentioned on the bug and irc, Ben de
27 > Groot (yngwin) does not object and says that font team lead Peter
28 > Volkov (pva) is non-active.
29 >
30 > Please review for technical problems (esp. for EPREFIX).
31 >
32 > Open questions:
33 >
34 > - - Should the (current) default xorg server paths
35 > /usr/share/fonts/{75dpi,100dpi,misc,TTF,OTF,TYPE1} really be excluded?
36 > How would the startup and font lookup perfomance degrade with
37 > multiple conf.d files, containing the same path multiple times?
38 >
39 > - - How would already installed font packages see this fix?
40 > Revbump (and stabilize) every one of them?
41 >
42 > - - Alternative solutions would be installing fonts in xorg-servers
43 > default paths or add one configuration file that gets newly
44 > assembled on every font_pkg_postinst run.
45
46 What you want is the font path element catalog and /etc/X11/fontpath.d (bug
47 #185264) which I abandoned when I realized that no one actually uses fontpath
48 anymore, that it caused the startup time to drastically increase with the
49 number of installed fonts, and that adding your own fontpath entries is both
50 trivial and documented everywhere.
54 Ryan Hill psn: dirtyepic_sk
55 gcc-porting/toolchain/wxwidgets @ gentoo.org
56
57 47C3 6D62 4864 0E49 8E9E 7F92 ED38 BD49 957A 8463