From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Jun 11th, 2009 Council Meeting Format
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 16:42:20
1 Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > The amount of time spent
3 > debating something over the pretty look and not over technical merits
4 > creates terrible signal-to-noise ratios (where I consider the pretty
5 > debates as noise and the technical merits as signal).
8 I'm not sure that much time on this list is spent debating "pretty look"
9 - unless you're concerned that the EAPI-in-filename objection comes
10 down to "looks." This is really a matter of elegant design and that
11 certainly is a technical consideration. In any case, if the KDE team
12 wanted to make the default color scheme dark gray on black I'd hope the
13 council would step in. The council has overall responsibility for the
14 direction of Gentoo and is not limited to considering only technical
15 matters.
16
17 I think that half the reason the glep55 debate seems to have gotten so
18 many people angry is that half of the flames amount to "you have no
19 right to voice that opinion" or "your opinion doesn't matter." Maybe
20 that should be true, and maybe it shouldn't be true. However, you
21 aren't going to be making many friends with that approach.
22
23 Likewise, if 90% of the developers on a project don't think a change
24 should happen, I'm not convinced that it should happen regardless of its
25 merits. The 10% who think they have all the winning technical arguments
26 should try persuading the 90% to agree rather than simply pointing out
27 that they are wrong. It isn't like the average gentoo developer can't
28 follow this stuff...