From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Jun 11th, 2009 Council Meeting Format
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 14:27:11
1 2009/6/3 Piotr Jaroszyński <peper@g.o>:
2 > 2009/6/2 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>:
3 >> All,
4 >>
5 >> The current council meetings have gotten completely out of hand for
6 >> weeks meetings have become nothing more then a continuation of the
7 >> senseless bicker-fest that have become the e-mail threads on GLEP54,
8 >> GLEP55, and EAPI-3 without any real progress or sense coming of them.
9 >> It's taken me a little bit to step up and put a stop to it but I fully
10 >> intend on putting a stop to it. The point of the council meetings is
11 >> to bring up a topic and decide on its merits whether it should be
12 >> brought into the Gentoo Project or not. I quote from the first line of
13 >> the Gentoo Council website:
14 >
15 > I am the author of both mentioned GLEPs but I don't feel too guilty
16 > about that. Council had every opportunity to decide upon them , one
17 > way or another, or state clearly that they don't like this or that.
18 > Instead, there has been a pointless discussion each time (4c comes to
19 > mind here). Imho, council should be less afraid to make difficult
20 > decisions.
21
22 I happen to completely agree here. I can't count how many times I've
23 pushed the council to simply vote on what's presented to the council
24 and not try to create 6 months of debate and mailing list threads to
25 try and appease every single person so that the GLEP will get passed,
26 even if its not even related to the original GLEP 6 months later.
27
28 But again, this goes back to the situation where the wrong people are
29 running for the council for wrong reasons and other developers are
30 electing those people for the wrong reasons. The amount of time spent
31 debating something over the pretty look and not over technical merits
32 creates terrible signal-to-noise ratios (where I consider the pretty
33 debates as noise and the technical merits as signal).
34
35 I urge everyone running for the council to really look inward and see
36 WHY you're running. I urge everyone voting to look at the candidates
37 before you and decide if they will do their jobs as the technical
38 overlords of the Gentoo Project or bog themselves down in the noise.
41 Doug Goldstein