From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: Brian Magnuson <magnuson@×××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge test...
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:35:11
1 It is relatively safe to make sure that you have tested every use flag, not
2 every combination of use flags.
3
4 Tom Veldhouse
5
6 ----- Original Message -----
7 From: "Brian Magnuson" <magnuson@×××.com>
8 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
9 Cc: <rsk@×××××××××.edu>
10 Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 11:28 AM
11 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge test...
14 > This is a nice idea, but I think that the problem becomes intractable when
15 you
16 > take USE flags into account. To properly test an ebuild you would have to
17 build
18 > it with every permutation of it USE flags. As an extreme example, mplayer
19 takes
20 > something like 20 possible USE flags. That's about 1000000 builds of
21 mplayer
22 > that you just signed up for. Or 32 seperate builds of xfree86, and that's
23 for
24 > every version that current exists in portage, not just the latest one.
25 You can
26 > see how this gets out of control rather quickly...
29 > * Riyad Kalla <rsk@×××××××××.edu> [2002-12-11 09:45]:
30 > > Does Gentoo have a script that can test all available emerges for
31 > > errors? Say have a machine setup, that has fast compiler settings (no
32 > > optimizations) that just emerges the entire portage tree all day long...
33 > > or do you just wait for people to report problems when emerging
34 > > packages?
35 > >
36 > > is there anywya to automate this task? Seems not very likely, but I'm
37 > > not sure of the intracacies of portage...
38 > >
39 > > -Riyad
42 > > --
43 > > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list