From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about XML files used in portage
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:18:54
1 On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 16:34 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 September 2005 16:18, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > I think the problem here was that longdescription was in an ebuild, but
4 > > was empty.
5 > >
6 > > Also, packages.gentoo.org doesn't use this data, but rather just the
7 > > DESCRIPTION field in the ebuild, at least for the few that I checked
8 > > that have a longdescription in metadata.xml...
9 >
10 > I know it doesn't, that does not preclude that it was mainly meant for
11 > such purposes. There has even been a short expirmental package list based
12 > on xml/xslt which used it, but it's searching mode was way too slow, so
13 > it was abandoned.
14 >
15 > In any case a longdescription tag if present should not be empty.
16 >
17 > Paul
20 The list is actually longer than I thought.
21
22 Currently my code does:
23
24 description = xmldesc['en'] or xmldesc[None] or ebuild_desc
25
26 which is fine for packages, but categories do not have a fall-back
27 description without the metadata. I could have sworn there was a
28 category with an empty description but I can't find it now ;-)
29
30 -m

pkg_nolongdesc.txt text/plain
signature.asc application/pgp-signature