From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 21:46:24
1 William L. Thomson Jr. posted on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 16:10:42 -0400 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > It seems odd that upstream will release a package. Just for downstream
5 > to consider it not stable. Did it get messed up during packaging? Did it
6 > get messed up by the distro? The whole lag thing does not make sense for
7 > Gentoo. Sooner released and tested on Gentoo. Sooner bugs can be
8 > founded, reported back to upstream, etc. Speeds up development. That is
9 > Gentoo's role in FOSS IMHO.
10
11 Not so odd. Gentoo's arch-stable has a different meaning than upstream's
12 stable. As a long time gentooer I'm surprised you weren't aware of this
13 already.
14
15 In general (individual packages may differ somewhat on a case-by-case
16 basis, one variant being packages where gentoo /is/ upstream and ~arch is
17 thus used for upstream unstable testing to some degree)...
18
19 Gentoo's stable doesn't really relate to upstream stable except that
20 upstream betas and the like (well, short-term ones, not the ones that
21 last years without a non-beta release...) aren't normally considered
22 stable candidates because they're not released by upstream as such.
23 Instead, gentoo's stable means that the packaging -- the ebuild script,
24 the eclasses it calls, and the eapi as encoded in pms and deployed by the
25 pm -- is considered tested and stable on a particular arch. Gentoo-
26 stable also includes proper integration, making sure the header files,
27 libs, configuration, documentation, etc, all end up in the place gentooers
28 expect them to be, that they build with our particular toolset, etc.
29
30 Similarly, upstream-unstable isn't supposed to be a candidate for ~arch
31 either, because ~arch is supposed to be upstream stable that simply
32 hasn't yet had enough testing of its gentoo packaging and integration in
33 ordered for that particular package to be declared stable.
34
35 That's one reason why ~arch normally works so well for those prepared to
36 manually deal with the occasional packaging or integration hiccup, missed
37 or incorrect dependency, failed merge due to conflict with existing files
38 because upstream moved something and the package hasn't yet adapted to
39 it, etc -- it's releases that upstream has already declared reasonably
40 stable, that simply aren't yet sufficiently tested in terms of the gentoo
41 packaging and integration, and if a user's willing to deal with the
42 occasional hiccup there it should otherwise be as stable as the upstream
43 declaration.
44
45 Which is why people like me find ~arch quite stable -- it /should/ be for
46 us, as it's upstream stable, and we're prepared to deal with the minor
47 dependency and integration issues, etc, that the process of gentoo
48 stabilization is intended to fix.
49
50 The problem this thread is seeking to at least incrementally tweak toward
51 the better is that the above only works for people on stable, when people
52 actually declare a package stable when there's no serious bugs left after
53 the testing period. Sometimes they forget, packages drop thru the
54 cracks, etc, and stable users get further behind than they would be if
55 policies were actually being followed.
56
57 And perhaps more to the point, on the minor archs which tend to be the
58 bottleneck, sometimes there's simply not the resources, either
59 sufficiently interested people with the time (who are volunteers after
60 all, so interest and time can't be commanded) or arch hardware or both,
61 available to do those stabilizations. The proposal here hopes to
62 automate much of the process as well as standardize it, hopefully
63 alleviating that bottleneck.
64
65 Tho as I've said before, as one who /is/ prepared to deal with the
66 occasional packaging or integration issue and thus finds ~arch perfectly
67 usable, I'd personally have no problem with dropping stable, it's just
68 that I know it to be a practical impossibility, because were we to do so,
69 instead of freeing that time to work on what's now ~arch, we'd simply
70 lose most of the volunteers who have a major interest in stable.
75 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman