From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Required Features for $package_manager to Aid... Development!
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:32:03
1 Elfyn McBratney wrote:
2
3 > I've been inspired by the local/global USE flag threads recently
4 > posted by Doug (Cardoe), and it got me to thinking... I've recently
5 > joined the pkgcore development effort, and was asked by Brian
6 > (ferringb) what I'd like to hack on/what my niggles with portage are.
7 > My personal one is why updates/ and binpkg mangling takes so long in
8 > portage-$current. But I'd like to know, what are everyone elses?
9
10 I've been thinking about this lately too. I think it would be a good
11 idea to come up with as many different use cases as we can think of and
12 figure out what we can already do, what we would like to do, and the
13 best way to do it.
14
15 > I know that this topic have been rehashed since the dawn of
16 > time^Wgentoo-dev, but these things get lost, opinions change... and
17 > since last year, new and viable alternate package managers have
18 > cropped up. So, basically I'd like to ask all on this list: - what
19 > package manager features would make *your* life easier?
20
21 - current pet peeve is some way of dealing with SRC_URI's that use
22 dynamic redirects to the source files (eg.
23 http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/Download.php?id=57167 ->
24 http://someserver.com/randomlygeneratedhashthatchangeseveryhour/the_HeX_coda_01_v1.3.zip).
25 Since the name of the file fetched (the_HeX_coda_01_v1.3.zip) != the
26 one in SRC_URI (Download.php?id=57167) portage bombs. right now i have
27 to use RESTRICT="fetch" which sucks.
28
29 --de.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list