From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
Cc: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 26 -- Handling kernels with portage
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 16:30:45
1 On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 02:04:11AM -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 07:40 +0200, John Nilsson wrote:
3 > > > "yes | make oldconfig".
4 > >
5 > > This seems like a stupid thing to do.
6 > > CONFIG_UNSTABLE_PANIC_ON_BOOT=y
7 > > CONFIG_FILESYSTEM_DESTRUCTION=y
8 >
9 > I think it actually does "yes 'n' | make oldconfig".
10
11 Even doing that is also stupid, and will not work (think about all of
12 the config options that are a number, or a selection from a list of
13 items, such as the CPU type.)
14
15 Or what if the kernel developers introduce a new config option:
16 CONFIG_FIX_ALL_BUGS
17 You wouldn't want to always turn that off now would you? :)
18
19 > > How would this system update the bootmgr?
20 > I purposely left this out of the GLEP as it is would be a much more hot
21 > topic.
22
23 ???
24
25 That's the easiest thing to do, and something that I'm pretty amazed
26 Gentoo has not implemented yet, as all other distros already come with a
27 simple script that handles this functionality (works with different boot
28 loaders too...)
29
30 thanks,
31