From: Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte <kioshen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Strange update world output
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 14:12:40
1 On 5/16/05, Paul Waring <pwaring@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 5/16/05, Kevin F. Quinn <ml@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Try "emerge -puDvt world", which will give you the list in an indented tree format useful for determining what pulled in the packages you don't want.
4 >
5 > I think I've found out what the problem was by looking through all
6 > those, although the dependancy tree isn't all that easy to follow
7 > (it's pretty hard to tell how far something is indented when they're
8 > 10+ lines apart). Looks like lib-compat had +sdl set (I presume this
9 > is set by default because I've never enabled it) which seemed to be
10 > bringing all sorts of rubbish along with it. Adding -sdl and -arts to
11 > make.conf got rid of everything bar postgresql and lib-compat (which
12 > is what I wanted), although I've no idea why all these extra packages
13 > appeared in the first place.
14 >
15 For the record, you can put -* in your make.conf. That will disable
16 all of the use flags and you will have to specify only the one you
17 need. That way, this will never happen again. Just make sure you know
18 what you're doing ...
19
20 Also, since no one mentioned it yet, this is a strickly gentoo
21 developpement oriented mailing list. The Gentoo-User ML exist for
22 these sort of questions :).
23
24 Regards,
25