From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: lu_zero@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 06:42:20
1 On Wed, 22 May 2013 17:21:40 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 05/21/2013 09:03 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > On 21/05/2013 05:03, Daniel Campbell wrote:
6 > >> That's missing the point. If you don't run systemd, having unit files is
7 > >> pointless. Thankfully there's INSTALL_MASK and whatnot, but that seems
8 > >> like a hack instead of something more robust. Why include systemd unit
9 > >> files (by default, with no systemd USE flag, thanks to the council...)
10 > >> on a system that's not using it? 154 files isn't negligible unless
11 > >> you're flippant with your system and don't care about bloat. Unused
12 > >> software sitting around *is* a waste of disk-space.
13 > >>
14 > >> Some people (like myself) came to Gentoo to avoid putting systemd on
15 > >> their systems and to make use of the great choice that Gentoo allows.
16 > >> This push to make systemd a "first level citizen" or whatever reeks of
17 > >> marketing. If there is desire among users for unit files, they can
18 > >> contact upstream or maintain their own set of unit files. It's not like
19 > >> they're hard to write.
20 > >>
21 > >
22 > > <amused long-term user chipping in>
23 > >
24 > > This is such a weak argument it's quite laughable.
25 > >
26 > > I don't like gnu info files. Neither me nor anyone I know can figure out
27 > > how to drive info. So, let's rip all the info files out of every
28 > > package; leaving the 3 users who do know info free to grab their copies
29 > > from upstream. I mean it's not like it's hard or anything, and info
30 > > files are easy to write.
31 >
32 > check the FEATURES variable and be surprise =) (from man make.conf)
33 >
34 > nodoc Do not install doc files (/usr/share/doc).
35 >
36 > noinfo Do not install info pages.
37 >
38 > noman Do not install manpages.
39 >
40 > Adding a nounits norunscript and such might work and had been proposed.
41
42 Yet it's just redundant and a more specific form of INSTALL_MASK.
43 Without the ability to e.g. rebuild packages which were installing
44 given files.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny