From: gentoo-user@××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A new category scheme idea
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 05:26:04
1 On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Einar Karttunen wrote:
2
3 > Hello
4 >
5 > I have thought about a new way of categorise ebuilds in gentoo. The
6 > new scheme would be based on category files which would be just a
7 > list of dependencys as portage understands them. Each package could
8 > be in many categories and categories may include categories (but there
9 > may be no circular references).
12 I agree on your point that category files are usefull. You certainly have
13 a point. I don't think though the categories in the portage tree should
14 vanish. I prefer to see category files as an addition to the "main
15 category" of each package. The reason I want that is that I think the
16 system would become unmanageable if the packages are uncategorized. There
17 are just too many packages, if you want to put them all in one directory,
18 it will be hell to find them or maintain them. Next the categorizing
19 allows for duplicate names. Finally I think category files with qualified
20 packages are not harder to make than category files without qualified
21 packages. Unqualifying packages is a considerable job though, so I prefer
22 to give each package a "main" category, and use category files for
23 aditional categories.
24
25 Paul
28 ___
29 /~~~\ | Paul de Vrieze
30 | O-O | | Student of information management and technology
31 | _ | | Mail: Paul@××××××××.net
32 \___/ | Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net