From: Vitaly Kushneriuk <vitaly_kushneriuk@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A new category scheme idea
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 05:44:36
1 On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 13:25, gentoo-user@××××××××.net wrote:
2 > On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Einar Karttunen wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hello
5 > >
6 > > I have thought about a new way of categorise ebuilds in gentoo. The
7 > > new scheme would be based on category files which would be just a
8 > > list of dependencys as portage understands them. Each package could
9 > > be in many categories and categories may include categories (but there
10 > > may be no circular references).
13 > I agree on your point that category files are usefull. You certainly have
14 > a point. I don't think though the categories in the portage tree should
15 > vanish. I prefer to see category files as an addition to the "main
16 > category" of each package. The reason I want that is that I think the
17 > system would become unmanageable if the packages are uncategorized. There
18 > are just too many packages, if you want to put them all in one directory,
19 > it will be hell to find them or maintain them. Next the categorizing
20 > allows for duplicate names. Finally I think category files with qualified
21 > packages are not harder to make than category files without qualified
22 > packages. Unqualifying packages is a considerable job though, so I prefer
23 > to give each package a "main" category, and use category files for
24 > aditional categories.
25 Just an idea:
26 to simplify it we can have *optional* KEYWORDS="xxx yyy" in
27 ebuild file, and "emerge --update-keywords" command to
28 scan through available ebuilds and dump their names to apropriate files
29 under /usr/portage/keywords
30 i.e. if in dev-lang/python-2.1.1-r3.ebuild, there's
31 KEYWORD="DEVELOPMENT PYTHON COMPILER"
32 dev-lang/python-2.1.1-r3 will be appended to
33 /usr/portage/keywords/{DEVELOPMENT,PYTHON,COMPILER}
34
35 /Vitaly