From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ulm@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A more natural (human-friendly) syntax for dependencies
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 08:27:24
1 On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 10:18:31 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2012, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >
6 > > A package name can't end up with something looking like version.
7 >
8 > > Thus, if upstream names package:
9 >
10 > > frobnicator-11
11 >
12 > > We need to rename it in the tree, effectively losing the ability to
13 > > follow upstream naming and introducing a bunch of unnecessary MY_P,
14 > > S variables.
15 >
16 > You need to be more precise here. Package names like "foo-1a" or
17 > "foo-2_alpha" are perfectly legal, see the discussion in bug 174536.
18 >
19 > What is currently not allowed are package names ending with a hyphen
20 > followed by digits only (as in your above example). This seems to be
21 > completely arbitrary, and we could remove this limitation, even with
22 > existing dependency syntax.
23
24 I doubt we can. And we just extended it into repository names, didn't
25 we?
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny