From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:23:02
1 On 18-07-2012 14:11:07 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > Worse, I think /home to /Users is an *egregiously* poor choice; any
3 > native English speaker who has rudimenatry (or even intimate)
4 > knowledge of how things previously worked would be very likely to
5 > confuse /Users with the historical /usr.
6
7 You *are* aware OSX uses this, right?
8
9 > ... Heck, I know a local guy who
10 > has to struggle to get newish versions of Python, CUPS and other
11 > things onto an AIX box, because those are the tools he has to use to
12 > satisfy company needs. Based on IRC conversations, it sounds like he
13 > spends at least 5% of his time (that *I* know about, anyway) trying to
14 > wedge new software into old systems.
15
16 How is this related to something like a /usr merge?
17
18 > Ugh. I've gone offtopic. This email went from having anything to do
19 > with udev to being about filesystems layouts.
20
21 Seems to me we're in a different thread here :)
25 Fabian Groffen
26 Gentoo on a different level