From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:12:31
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I don't mind the merge of /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin;
3 > moreover, I want an even more radical change:
4 >
5 > /usr -> /System
6 > /home -> /Users
7 > /etc -> /Config
8
9 This would be a terrible idea, IMO. If you can rationalize this, why
10 not any of these?
11
12 /etc -> /設定
13 /etc -> /组态
14 /etc -> /組態
15 /etc -> /configuración
16
17 Codes (and things like 'usr', 'etc' and 'home' are codes) may not be
18 the most intuitive, but they have roughly the same difficulty
19 regardless of your source language.
20
21 Worse, I think /home to /Users is an *egregiously* poor choice; any
22 native English speaker who has rudimenatry (or even intimate)
23 knowledge of how things previously worked would be very likely to
24 confuse /Users with the historical /usr.
25
26 > Why should we care about ancient filesystems that didn't supported
27 > long paths, and therefore we got stuck with /usr since we didn't
28 > wanted to waste another *single* character to make it /user?
29 >
30 > Let that silly legacy stuff die. Keep symbolic links to the old
31 > directories for compatibility reasons, if you want to (modern software
32 > should not need it anyhow), and move on. Remember /usr/X11R6? We kept
33 > a /usr/X11R6 -> /usr link for years. Do you miss it?
34
35 The longer something exists, the more things like procedures and best
36 practices grow to depend on it both explicitly and implicitly. There's
37 a lot of stuff out there which assumes the existing structure. Stuff
38 that people don't necessarily even think about any more, because it
39 just works.
40
41 Grossly changing the filesystem layout does worse than make
42 maintenance of known software more difficult, it changes a lot of
43 longstanding assumptions for ancient, still-functional code written
44 ages upon ages ago, and it makes it that much more difficult to
45 install new software onto production systems which have been running
46 for decades.
47
48 That's the legacy of being a UNIX-alike. Heck, I know a local guy who
49 has to struggle to get newish versions of Python, CUPS and other
50 things onto an AIX box, because those are the tools he has to use to
51 satisfy company needs. Based on IRC conversations, it sounds like he
52 spends at least 5% of his time (that *I* know about, anyway) trying to
53 wedge new software into old systems.
54
55 Change almost always breaks more things than you expect, because you
56 only expect the things you remembered to consider, not the things you
57 forgot existed.
58
59 Ugh. I've gone offtopic. This email went from having anything to do
60 with udev to being about filesystems layouts.
63 :wq