From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:05:38
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 07/18/2012 04:10 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 23:54:16 -0400
4 >> Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
5
6 [snip]
7
8 >>> The difference is simple. You put stuff into /sbin when you do not
9 >>> want regular users to be able to select it via tab completion by
10 >>> default.
11 >>
12 >> Now put that definition into my cold logic brain.
13 >
14 > That was meant as a joke, although the irony is that it is true.
15
16 So, you are rationalizing a posteriori an original irrational decision.
17
18 Understanding the bin, sbin, usr/bin , usr/sbin split:
19 http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
20
21 "The /bin vs /usr/bin split (and all the others) is an artifact of
22 this, a 1970's implementation detail that got carried forward for
23 decades by bureaucrats who never question _why_ they're doing things.
24 It stopped making any sense before Linux was ever invented, for
25 multiple reasons"
26
27 I don't mind the merge of /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin;
28 moreover, I want an even more radical change:
29
30 /usr -> /System
31 /home -> /Users
32 /etc -> /Config
33
34 Why should we care about ancient filesystems that didn't supported
35 long paths, and therefore we got stuck with /usr since we didn't
36 wanted to waste another *single* character to make it /user?
37
38 Let that silly legacy stuff die. Keep symbolic links to the old
39 directories for compatibility reasons, if you want to (modern software
40 should not need it anyhow), and move on. Remember /usr/X11R6? We kept
41 a /usr/X11R6 -> /usr link for years. Do you miss it?
42
43 I surely not. Regards.
44 --
45 Canek Peláez Valdés