From: Pete Gavin <pete@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Grub can't load my menu.1st
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 07:01:42
1 On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 11:08:18PM -0800, Dominic Leland wrote:
2 > Well, I got my Gentoo installation almost perfectly. One of the only problems I have left is that, although I followed the Grub instructions to the letter, Grub hasn't been loading my menu.1st file.
3 >
4 > I did the file exactly to the specifications of the install instructions, but I still have to manually enter in the commands. I put the file, according to the directions, in my /boot/boot/grub directory. I've thought of putting it all over the place (/boot, /boot/boot, and / as well as /boot/boot/grub) in an effort to try to cover my bases. I would rather see what people here think.
5 >
6 > At the very least, this will help pound into me the grub syntax so I can quit being lilo-centric.
10 If /boot is on the root partition, you need to put all the grub files
11 in /boot/grub. Otherwise, if /boot is on its own partition, you need
12 to put everything in /boot/boot/grub. This is because grub knows
13 nothing about the layout of your partitions (i.e., whats in your fstab
14 file) and always looks for the file /boot/grub/menu.lst relative to
15 the root of the partition (not relative to your actual root
16 directory). I suggest you look at the grub info page, under the node
17 "Installing grub natively" for more information.
18
19 Pete