From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] berkdb and gdbm in global USE defaults
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 16:28:08
1 Ühel kenal päeval, R, 27.01.2017 kell 13:08, kirjutas Kristian
2 Fiskerstrand:
3 > On 01/27/2017 01:01 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
4 > > On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:54 AM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
5 > > wrote:
6 > > > Ühel kenal päeval, N, 26.01.2017 kell 22:33, kirjutas Mike
7 > > > Gilbert:
8 > > > > I recently ran into a REQUIRED_USE constraint that required I
9 > > > > select
10 > > > > between berkdb and gdbm for an email client.
11 > > >
12 > > > There shouldn't be a REQUIRED_USE constraint that forces you to
13 > > > select
14 > > > one or the other. The maintainer should be giving the choice of
15 > > > both,
16 > > > but if only one can be chosen, the maintainer should make the
17 > > > choice
18 > > > for you by preferring one of them. Likely gdbm, given berkdb
19 > > > licensing
20 > > > saga.
21 > >
22 > > I'm not sure this makes sense to me. If the package will actually
23 > > select one implementation out of a set, it makes sense to me that
24 > > the
25 > > maintainer for that package makes that choice explicit towards the
26 > > user. In that case, setting REQUIRED_USE accordingly seems exactly
27 > > right. The maintainer should set a good default, but if the user's
28 > > USE
29 > > settings are inconclusive in getting to the choice of
30 > > implementation,
31 > > it's better to whine explicitly than try to guess implicitly what
32 > > the
33 > > user wanted.
34 >
35 > I tend to agree with this sentiment, explicit over implicit behavior
36 > ensures better debugging ability and security considerations.
39 It breaks the highly sought after "Gentoo is about choice" mantra.
40 In this case, choice to not care and have the best chosen for me.