From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] berkdb and gdbm in global USE defaults
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 12:09:00
1 On 01/27/2017 01:01 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:54 AM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Ühel kenal päeval, N, 26.01.2017 kell 22:33, kirjutas Mike Gilbert:
4 >>> I recently ran into a REQUIRED_USE constraint that required I select
5 >>> between berkdb and gdbm for an email client.
6 >> There shouldn't be a REQUIRED_USE constraint that forces you to select
7 >> one or the other. The maintainer should be giving the choice of both,
8 >> but if only one can be chosen, the maintainer should make the choice
9 >> for you by preferring one of them. Likely gdbm, given berkdb licensing
10 >> saga.
11 > I'm not sure this makes sense to me. If the package will actually
12 > select one implementation out of a set, it makes sense to me that the
13 > maintainer for that package makes that choice explicit towards the
14 > user. In that case, setting REQUIRED_USE accordingly seems exactly
15 > right. The maintainer should set a good default, but if the user's USE
16 > settings are inconclusive in getting to the choice of implementation,
17 > it's better to whine explicitly than try to guess implicitly what the
18 > user wanted.
19
20 I tend to agree with this sentiment, explicit over implicit behavior
21 ensures better debugging ability and security considerations.