From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Modular X update
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:52:44
1 On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 23:12 +0000, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > AREAS WE NEED HELP WITH:
3 > 1) Porting applications to modular X
4 > 2) Fixing descriptions for the vast majority of modular packages.
7 > OK, it seems like we've now got issues resolved related to the new
8 > virtual/x11 package. Despite all the eyes that looked at it and all the
9 > publicity on lists and elsewhere, we still missed the lack of stable
10 > keywords in it, which caused some issues when the default virtual was
11 > pulled from the base profile. Thanks to axxo and flameeyes for dealing
12 > with this while I was at lunch.
13 >
14 > Here's roughly how it all works:
15 >
16 > 1) Users with xorg-6.x installed will continue along happily, because
17 > 6.x PROVIDES virtual/x11 on their systems.
18 >
19 > 2) Users with no X installed will pull in the virtual/x11 package
20 > because there is no longer a default virtual.
21 >
22 > 3) Users with xorg-7.x installed will need all their packages updated
23 > for modular dependencies. There is a porting guide at
24 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xorg-x11/porting_to_modular_x_howto.txt
25 > -- go ahead and run through it for your favorite packages, and file
26 > bugs to their maintainers with the updated dependencies.
27 >
28 > One note for porting to modular: binary packages will require a script
29 > using ldd instead of one checking the compilation log. Petteri Räty has
30 > kindly made one available at
31 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~betelgeuse/scripts/checkdeps -- it depends on
32 > portage-utils.
33 >
34 > While packages are being ported to modular X, you will be unable to
35 > upgrade any unported packages (so likely your 'world') without an entry
36 > in /etc/portage/profile/virtuals that emulates virtual/x11 using an
37 > installed package, e.g.:
38 >
39 > virtual/x11 x11-base/xorg-x11
40 >
41 > assuming you have the xorg-x11-7 metabuild installed.
42 >
43 > I hope that covers pretty much everything right now.
46 Will need to do something about the default glu/opengl/xft virtuals as
47 well ... (you probably did not forget this, just double checking ...)
51 Martin Schlemmer