From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pid 1 design
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 20:46:41
1 On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 22:27:37 +0200
3 > Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Rich Freeman wrote:
6
7 [snip]
8
9 >> > Systemd isn't a like-for-like replacement for traditional inits.
10 >> > It aims to be much more, so this is a bit of an apples-to-oranges
11 >> > comparison.
12 >>
13 >> Yes, it is much more, which is a very nice thing on the systems
14 >> it supports. I believe systemd is not usuable at all outside Linux
15 >> and will not likely ever be, so for prefix there will anyway always
16 >> be systemd alternatives in Gentoo! And on those systems the service
17 >> files should never be installed.
18 >
19 > Considering that systemd unit files are sometimes shipped with upstream
20 > packages, and often they are practically equivalent to openrc init
21 > scripts, I'd rather see openrc supporting that file format
22 > as an extension and using it instead of duplicating the same thing
23 > in init.d scripts.
24 >
25 > And yes, that means that people masking service files shoot themselves
26 > in the foot.
27 >
28 > Also, if I had more time (or support), I'd probably start working
29 > on a systemd-compatible init system with a more portable design.
30
31 I would find this very interesting. I doubt I could find time for much
32 active contribution, unfortunately, but I'd help where I could.
35 >> > Again, I'm not sure that it HAS to work the way it does
36 >>
37 >> I would say that it does, because it is required in order to
38 >> accomplish what systemd wants to deliver.
39 >
40 > Not necessarily. You can move many 'extra' systemd features outside of
41 > PID 1. For example, unit dependency trees are complex by definition
42 > and practically not necessary for PID 1.
43 >
44 > In other words, it could be designed to move more complex (and thus
45 > risky) tasks outside of PID 1.
46
47 +1
50 :wq