From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] Portage repo usage survey and change evaluation
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 00:13:17
1 On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 1:20 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > It is almost, but not completely unlike it. A simple ChangeLog is a lot
4 > easier ...
7 > (Why are people now trying to add middleware layers to indirect the
8 > problem to become invisible in a huge machinery? This is wonderfully
9 > insane ...)
12 Exactly... The SCM is a lot easier, and you avoid any middleware layers and
13 indirection :)
14
15 Regarding all the previous size arguments: my system doesn't agree. A
16 recent rsync sync gave me an 856 MB directory (of which 223 MB is those
17 precious ChangeLog and ChangeLog-2015 files). A checkout from git, plus
18 news, glsa, etc. (using hasufell's convenient portage-gentoo-git-config on
19 GitHub) is only 782M, and I can get more detailed change information than
20 those ChangeLog* files could ever give. Then there's the option of putting
21 it on btrfs with compression if I still want the working tree smaller. You
22 can argue about squashfs reducing the size, but you can do that with a tree
23 from git just like you could with a tree from rsync, so it's irrelevant.