From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] Portage repo usage survey and change evaluation
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 07:21:43
1 On 03/02/2016 08:48 PM, malc wrote:
2 > I still fail to understand the bikeshedding here - you really don't
3 > need a git checkout to get something akin to a changelog. Use the
4 > github API directly...
5 >
6 > The following 1-liner could be trivially productised (maybe even parse
7 > $PWD to set the path argument...)
8 >
9 > curl https://api.github.com/repos/gentoo/gentoo/commits?path=app-admin/eselect
10 > | perl -MJSON -e 'foreach $i (@{decode_json(join("",@lines=<STDIN>))})
11 > { print "$i->{commit}->{author}->{name} -
12 > $i->{commit}->{author}->{date}\n\n $i->{commit}->{message}\n"; }'
13 Requires you to be online, can't grep over multiple packages.
14
15 This version relies on an unreliable thirdparty service and is thus more
16 of an intellectual curiosity.
17 > Yeah - it's not quite as pretty as our current Changelog, but date,
18 > author/committer, commit-msg etc. are all there and you can filter by
19 > path just the same as you would with native git log...
20 > You could parse the local $PORTDIR/metadata/timestamp* and add an
21 > 'until' param to the URL to filter commits beyond where a user has
22 > rsync'd up to...
23 >
24 It is almost, but not completely unlike it. A simple ChangeLog is a lot
25 easier ...
28 (Why are people now trying to add middleware layers to indirect the
29 problem to become invisible in a huge machinery? This is wonderfully
30 insane ...)