From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enough about GLEP5{4,5}
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 20:21:00
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2009.06.08 19:35, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 [snip]
6
7 > Easily-extractable EAPI either has change scope limitations or a
8 > considerable performance impact.
9 That needs to be quantified. e.g. 20ms to 200ms is a factor of 10x but
10 it would not be considered 'considerable'.
11 ms == 0.001 seconds
14 > GLEP 55's getting nowhere because a small group of religious fanatics
15 > are doing anything they can to derail it because it came from "the
16 > wrong people".
17 [snip]
18
19 I don't accept that. as I said in -council last night. A good technical
20 paper presents an impartial, convincing technial argument. Glep 55
21 version 1.5 fails, as evidenced by the number of people who are not
22 convinced that the problem it addresses exists, never mind the proposed
23 solution.
24
25 There are several issues. Some with glep55 and some with the glep
26 process. Glep 55 (any version) does not cover all the areas in
27 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0001.html#what-belongs-in-a-
28 successful-glep and it needs to.
29
30 Glep 55 is a particularly complex glep. its not really suited to the
31 current glep process which is written as if you agree everying during
32 the process of writing the glep and its a done deal when it gets
33 to council.
34
35 Glep 55 would benefit from being subject to the full rigours of the
36 life cycle process, which has already started to happen. Council have
37 agreed the problem is worth addressing. Thats the first step in the
38 process.
39
40 We have several options to solve the acknowledged problem. Thats the
41 next life cycle process step. They need to be presented first for peer
42 review, then to council with some metrics on the bottlenecks of each.
43 That does not mean you need fully working solutions. With that
44 information, one solution will be selected for implementaion.
45
46 Breaking the problem into small pieces and addressing each piece is the
47 way complex problems are solved outside of Gentoo. At the top level its
48 called Systems Engineering.
49
50 I'm quite happy to do the editorial work but I need the facts to work
51 with and after two years we still only have subjective assessments of
52 the alternatives.
53
54 Glep55 will be rejected no matter who presents it and where the ideas
55 come from if its presented on one piece, its just too much to take in
56 in one go. The approvers need to poke at the glep as it develops, not
57 be presented with a done deal.
60 > --
61 > Ciaran McCreesh
64 - --