From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild revisions
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:53:45
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:28:07 -0600 Andrew Gaffney
3 > <agaffney@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > | Whenever an ebuild goes from say -r1 to -r2, that is just a revision
5 > | of the ebuild, not the program itself, correct? If so, in most cases,
6 > | you will get the exact same code generated, correct? If the first one
7 > | works, what is the point of upgrading to the next revision to get the
8 > | exact same code?
9 >
10 > Incorrect. A revision bump will only be done if the installed code is
11 > changed enough that the user should upgrade.
12 >
13 > For example, if I added a minor compile fix to foo-1.0.ebuild, I
14 > wouldn't do a revision bump. However, if I added a security or
15 > functionality patch to foo-1.0.ebuild, or if I made significant changes
16 > to foo's configuration files, I *would* bump it to-r1.
17
18 Okay. That makes sense.
21 Andrew Gaffney
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list