From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: phajdan.jr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Establishing Gentoo patch policy to keep our patches consistent and clean
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 21:41:21
1 On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 13:00:35 -0700
2 ""Paweł Hajdan, Jr."" <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 4/6/13 12:41 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > I would honestly just go for the git style. It's the first thing that
6 > > really succeeded in standardizing patches. Inventing something new is
7 > > not really necessary, I believe.
8 >
9 > Oh, I didn't mean inventing anything new.
10 >
11 > Is there some URL or documentation I could read to familiarize myself
12 > with all of the "git style"?
13
14 Hmm, it seems that there is nothing really common, just various things
15 that were used and started to be expected by random tools. Except for
16 bits of notes in git manpages, there's some info in the 'submitting
17 patches' doc [1].
18
19 The general idea is similar to the e-mail concept. Shortly saying, it's:
20
21 One line of topic
22
23 Paragraph of text, usually wrapped at 72 chars.......................
24 Second line of the same paragraph, etcetera.
25
26 Second paragraph. Then we'll have a list:
27
28 - item 1
29
30 - item 2
31
32 Some-tags: ...
33 Other-tag: ...
34
35 (indent added to mail to make it clear, no indent in patch file :))
36
37 Although git itself rather preserves newlines, some tool concatenate
38 successive lines, so you separate paragraphs (and items) with empty
39 lines.
40
41 First paragraph (some tools may read one line only!) goes as a short
42 summary, that is shown in 'git log --oneline'. The following paragraphs
43 (optional) should explain better what's happening.
44
45 Optionally, after the last paragraph you can add a few lines with tags
46 in form of 'Tag: value'. AFAICS git itself uses only
47 'Signed-off-by' but you can find more tags in various 'submitting
48 patches' docs.
49
50 'Signed-off-by' lists the one responsible for the patch. Some upstreams
51 require that line, some take over authorship of patches if you don't
52 add it (like X.org), some just hate it :).
53
54 The X.org wiki lists also 'Fixes' for bugtracker URL [2] and a few tags
55 for reviewing patches [3] (those are probably not useful for us).
56
57 Some upstreams also use different bugtracker tag formats [4,5] but I
58 feel like they're not proper for our patches since they don't mention
59 the bugtracker URI. That said, I'd probably ping them about it.
60
61 [1]:http://git.kernel.org/cgit/git/git.git/tree/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
62 [2]:http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/SubmittingPatches#Commit_message_format
63 [3]:http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/SubmittingPatches#Signing_off_and_reviewing