From: Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 06:47:48
1 On Thursday 24 August 2006 02:17, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 <snip>
3
4 > When I think about where Gentoo was when we turned into a democracy
5 > years ago, and where Gentoo is now, I don't see much of a difference on
6 > the large scale. We lack any global vision for where Gentoo is going, we
7 > can't agree on who our audience is, and everyone's just working on
8 > pretty much whatever they feel like.
9 Some like it that way others don't I think that is normal when you have
10 elections. If more developers will work for a global vision we will have one.
11
12 > The vocal minority often gets its way, despite 99% of the other
13 > developers being happy with any given situation.
14 Yeah, that is a problem. Simple rules and stronger enforcement of those rules
15 would be great.
16
17 > All in all, the vocal minority has done a splendid job of becoming more
18 > influential, crippling Gentoo's ability to do anything at all about its
19 > members, their flames, their outstanding work at ruining people's fun
20 > and enjoyment of Gentoo, and their waste of everyone else's time.
21 Then vote for someone else.
22
23 > Being able to work together long term is this project's greatest asset,
24 > one far more important than any set of changes to the code, and turning
25 > arguments about code into issues that affect our long-term ability to
26 > work harmoniously together is just not worth the trade-off by any
27 > conceivable stretch of the imagination. ...
28 I agree. If we can't come up with many global technical objectives this could
29 be a good candidate .
30
31 > I'm not the only one to suggest that a democracy isn't the most
32 > productive way to run Gentoo. When people wanted to change in how Gentoo
33 > was run, democracy was the only option considered, rather than simply
34 > changing the leaders. There's an ongoing assumption that if problems
35 > exist, it must be somewhere in the structure rather than in the people.
36 Democracy is not just democracy it can be run in many ways.
37
38 > If I could go back in time a couple of years and prevent this democracy
39 > from ever happening, I would. If I could fix these problems myself, I
40 > would. But it requires buy-in from the entire Gentoo community if we're
41 > to do anything about it.
42 I was only a dev for a few months with drobbins so I don't really have any
43 personal experience from that part of the Gentoo history but I definately
44 would not like to abandon the Foundation and work under some arbitrary chief.
45
46 Going backwards is not the solution.
49 Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen (Jaervosz)
50 Gentoo Linux Security Team