From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 259 paludis-profile messages. ENOUGH!
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:33:01
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote: [Thu May 18 2006, 04:01:42PM CDT]
2 > On Thu, 18 May 2006 16:41:09 -0400 Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > | However, continuing the thread serves no useful purpose except, IMHO,
4 > | to completely obfuscate the original point of the thread
5 >
6 > Nonsense. There is still productive discussion going on in that thread.
7 > The only reason it is so noisy is because a small group of malcontents
8 > who hold grudges against some of the Paludis developers.
9
10 That's not entirely fair. In the case of both pauldv and wolf31o2, I
11 suspect that holding grudges was not the reason for the heightened
12 tempers. Instead, it looked to me like both devs had very strong
13 opinions on what an alternative package manager should do, and neither
14 was happy with the fact that paludis would work differently.
15 Consequently, they both attacked paludis quite strongly, asserting their
16 opinions as "obvious" facts, and received strongly-worded, not entirely helpful
17 counterarguments in return. A larger dose of patience, or perhaps a few
18 controlled substances, would have dramatically lowered the heat.
19 Despite all that, there's been a lot of useful content in this thread.
20
21 > | While I am completely against any form of censorship, I certainly
22 > | wish I had the ability to block that thread and all further postings
23 > | to it.
24 >
25 > Then learn how to use your mail client.
26
27 I wouldn't have stated it that way, but a threaded mail client does work
28 wonders for this sort of thing. Both mutt and thunderbird, for example,
29 allow one to fold, delete, or otherwise just ignore a thread quite
30 nicely.
31
32 > And hey, look, by starting yet another thread you're just making noise
33 > in an attempt to justify a personal grudge, thus making things harder
34 > for the people who do real work around here. If you don't have anything
35 > useful to contribute, shut up and go away.
36
37 *Sigh* Be nice, please. Incidentally, he did have a point that this
38 thread is now darn hard to follow. Perhaps it's time to split off a
39 thread or two...?
40
41 -g2boojum-
42 --
43 Grant Goodyear
44 Gentoo Developer
45 g2boojum@g.o
46 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
47 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76