From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: modifications to GLEP42
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 21:38:21
1 On Sat, 05 May 2007 14:26:48 -0700
2 Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o> wrote:
3 > After some discussion on #-dev there are some improvements that we can
4 > make on glep 42.
5
6 Well, if you're going about improving it, start by adding in the
7 Display-If-Upgrading-From-To: header. It'll be a nuisance to implement,
8 but it'll be far more useful than any of the rest of this.
9
10 > 1. Priority levels for news items: If we did this users could decide
11 > what levels of importance to filter out.
12
13 That'll just increase the amount of disagreement about news items
14 because it'll give people more pointless wording to argue over.
15
16 > 2. Standards for news items: Based on the paludis news item thread,
17 > it's clear we need some standards for what we release as news. If
18 > combined with #1 we can set different standards and give the users
19 > some more choice on what they accept and what we publish.
20
21 It's quite simple. If releasing a news item improves the user
22 experience of affected users more than not releasing it, the news item
23 should be released.
26 Ciaran McCreesh