From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:23:20
1 On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 11:08 -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Ah, sorry, that isn't quite what I meant. Rather I intended to point
3 > out that we should not be deluded into thinking that the changes
4 > required for Gentoo to be enterprise-ready are small. Some of the
5 > changes are surmountable, but each one could appear to necessitate,
6 > IMHO, a change at the core of Gentoo development. I would prefer for
7 > the solutions to be possible more transparently.
8
9 Yeah, the changes that do need to be made are not small I agree. I do
10 feel that for the most part they could be made without disrupting the
11 core of Gentoo. For example, there is no need to put a freeze on the
12 whole tree in the name of "enterprise stability" and screw everyone else
13 wanting bleeding edge packages, when you could snapshot the tree (like
14 you mention below)
15
16 > For example, one way a company could presently deploy Gentoo
17 <snip>
18 > In other words, a company can implement a Gentoo product lifecycle
19 > as a wrapper around the existing Gentoo development process. It is
20 > a lot of work for the company, and they'd better hire some bright
21 > sysadmins, but it would be possible.
22 >
23 > If there is an enterprise subproject formed in Gentoo, I'd like to see
24 > their methods be similar. Develop tools that make it easier to manage
25 > and maintain an enterprise deployment, without changing how Gentoo is
26 > currently developed. Without hoisting new expectations on the Gentoo
27 > developers, release process, etc.
28
29 GLEP 19 is pretty much right along these lines, and already has some
30 prototype/testing going on. :)
31
32 > I did not intend "hobbyist" to be disparaging. I think that the big
33 > companies (including HP, who has also donated tens of thousands of
34 > dollars of equipment btw) see a lot of potential in Gentoo.
35
36 Cool. I probably put too much personal feeling behind it. I don't
37 trust corporate distros anymore. I was in a situation where we got
38 royally screwed by RedHat, tried to work out a deal with them, and had
39 no luck. For us we got stuck in the whole "first one is free, then
40 you're hooked" game.
41
42 I'm not against paying for support and services (I think rhn is the
43 coolest thing since sliced bread, and worth some money), however, I do
44 not think that their prices are reasonable, especially when they ask you
45 to switch from free to paying six digits in the middle of a fiscal year
46 where you haven't budgeted for it. So, my desires for Gentoo to fit
47 better in the enterprise stem from not wanting to stick with a corporate
48 distro.. Kinda selfish, I know. :)
49
50 > Great! I think we are closer in our perspectives than it seems.
51
52 :)
53
54 Cheers,