From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 15:08:31
1 Note: I've snipped a lot of quoted text below, but took full context
2 into account in my replies...
3
4 Lance Albertson wrote:[Mon Jun 06 2005, 09:02:21PM EDT]
5 > I'd say as a global goal, yes I'd agree with you. Gentoo as a global
6 > entity should stay where its at, but that doesn't mean a subset of
7 > Gentoo could have a goal towards being enterprise.
8
9 I think that working on methods to use Gentoo in an enterprise setting
10 is cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how people creatively solve
11 some of the problems I mentioned without disrupting Gentoo's core
12 development. I did not mean to imply that *all* of those problems
13 need to be solved in order for Gentoo to be usable in an enterprise
14 setting.
15
16 > I don't really see Gentoo has a hobbyist distribution as a whole.
17
18 Sorry if it seemed like I was putting Gentoo in a box. That wasn't my
19 intent. I wasn't using the term "hobbyist" derogatorily, in case that
20 wasn't clear.
21
22 > I envision the 'server/enterprise' project to help create numerous
23 > tools that help aide Gentoo in a production environment. There's
24 > a lot of cool stuff we could do to help make it run better in that
25 > type of environment.
26
27 Totally. In fact, some of the same tools that would help enterprise
28 users would also be useful to ordinary users.
29
30 > > And that is why Gentoo exists for the developers first, the users
31 > > second.
32 >
33 > I see your point there, but I also think theres a group of people
34 > that also like gentoo in the enterprise realm. I remember at the
35 > last LWE show in San Francisco, there were numerous people asking
36 > about Gentoo and making it more 'stable'. This would really be tied
37 > to an enterprise level of Gentoo. So I know there is interest out
38 > there. We all have opinions on were Gentoo should fit in, so I don't
39 > see why we couldn't fit there.
40
41 If there are users wanting that, then I look forward to seeing them
42 step up to the plate and help to solve the problems. I'd reiterate,
43 though, that the solutions need to be creative enough that they don't
44 disrupt Gentoo's core development.
45
46 What do I mean by that? Let me give you an example: multilib support.
47 Jeremy and others have been working on this for a while now. They've
48 gone through a couple iterations of efforts, but take a look at
49 Jeremy's blog and you'll see that he acknowledges it needs some
50 reworking. Despite that, the default amd64 profile is multilib, and
51 there is no higher indication of stability in portage than that.
52
53 How should the enterprise subproject approach this problem? Options:
54 (1) They could raise a fuss that Jeremy has taken amd64 down this path
55 before the technology was ready. After all, that makes a mess of
56 enterprise-readiness, because any consumer is going to need to migrate
57 to the next multilib attempt in the future. (2) They could continue
58 to rely on the non-multilib profile and wait for the multilib
59 implementation to stabilize into something that isn't going to keep
60 seeing big changes.
61
62 IMHO the best approach is (2). It leaves the default amd64 profile
63 multilib, which is fine for most users. It is more work for the
64 enterprise subproject, but allows Jeremy to continue his development
65 unhindered.
66
67 Disclaimer: I don't know that much about multilib or the current state
68 of its development. If I've mischaracterized it, I apologize in
69 advance. My intent was to present a possible scenario and explain my
70 reasoning why I hope nobody will try to retarget the core of Gentoo
71 development at the enterprise.
72
73 > Anyways, you made some great points on where we fall, but I don't
74 > think we should shoot down the idea or potential because some of us
75 > don't think it'd work.
76
77 I agree with you.
78
79 Corey Shields wrote:[Mon Jun 06 2005, 10:18:31PM EDT]
80 > I don't feel that the list of requirements you have for "enterprise"
81 > linux is necessarily what the enterprise needs..
82 >
83 > I think Gentoo has some steps that can be taken to be a better
84 > enterprise player, but to come out and state that it won't work is
85 > a bit bold.
86
87 Ah, sorry, that isn't quite what I meant. Rather I intended to point
88 out that we should not be deluded into thinking that the changes
89 required for Gentoo to be enterprise-ready are small. Some of the
90 changes are surmountable, but each one could appear to necessitate,
91 IMHO, a change at the core of Gentoo development. I would prefer for
92 the solutions to be possible more transparently.
93
94 For example, one way a company could presently deploy Gentoo
95 internally would be to (1) make a snapshot of the portage tree and
96 deploy based on that, (2) manually backport bug- and security-fixes to
97 their snapshot. Sometimes the manual backport would be easy,
98 sometimes it would be more difficult, and sometimes the decision would
99 be made to move forward on a given package version.
100
101 In other words, a company can implement a Gentoo product lifecycle
102 as a wrapper around the existing Gentoo development process. It is
103 a lot of work for the company, and they'd better hire some bright
104 sysadmins, but it would be possible.
105
106 If there is an enterprise subproject formed in Gentoo, I'd like to see
107 their methods be similar. Develop tools that make it easier to manage
108 and maintain an enterprise deployment, without changing how Gentoo is
109 currently developed. Without hoisting new expectations on the Gentoo
110 developers, release process, etc.
111
112 > Wow... as a sysadmin who has run Gentoo in some very high profile
113 > production systems that's a bit offensive to think I used it outside
114 > of a hobbyist platform.. IBM didn't just donate a $30k system for
115 > ppc64 development to make it better for someone's basement use, so
116 > I don't think I'm alone in thinking that Gentoo is above "hobbyist".
117
118 I did not intend "hobbyist" to be disparaging. I think that the big
119 companies (including HP, who has also donated tens of thousands of
120 dollars of equipment btw) see a lot of potential in Gentoo.
121
122 > Gentoo is already a fun distribution.. I don't think that has to
123 > change to meet enterprise goals.
124
125 Great! I think we are closer in our perspectives than it seems.
126
127 Regards,
128 Aron
131 Aron Griffis