From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: News: systemd sysv-utils blocker resolution
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 16:18:20
1 On 12/27/17 16:47, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 7:18 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 11:22:50PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
4 >>> You might want to mention that alternatively, uninstalling
5 >>> openrc&sysvinit&netifrc on a systemd profile system is fine to do
6 >>> these days, despite the warning.
7 >> If you're using netifrc's systemd support, this would break your
8 >> networking ;-).
9 > I guess the winky face means you are not serious, but I'll respond anyway. :-)
10 >
11 > I suspect the number of people using systemd with netifrc is in the
12 > single digits. I would rather not clutter the news item to account for
13 > this scenario.
14 Just for the record,
15  I'm using it if using systemd (desktop systems), it's the only network
16 manager that use iproute2 syntax, shortening it if context is available
17 (no need to specify interface if it's mentioned in variable name f.ex.).
18 Beside I don't like NetworkManager
19
20 worse than that I'm actually using the same gentoo image with openrc and
21 systemd in different scenarios.
22 Basically my build box is using openrc inside a lxc container (no use of
23 netifrc, since net is managed by lxc).
24 The clients of the build box instead boot with systemd _and_ netifrc.
25
26 Gentoo is used by people who like to change defaults and (ab)use the
27 (autodocumented) flexibility offered by portage and ebuilds. Don't be
28 light in assuming how strange people is using strange configuration, and
29 population of strange people, that could be surprising.