From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 04:25:10
1 On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 22:37 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Really, I'd like to see some genuine examples of cases where people
3 > think they have a legitimate value of Z...
4
5 How about we base X Y and Z on the number of verifiable users of said
6 arch? That's just as arbitrary and fits with the normal "pink ponies"
7 philosophy of pulling complete bullshit out of the air and using it as a
8 justification or argument. Maybe we'll base it on how many months
9 they've been security-supported?
10
11 No offense to anyone, but holding back hundreds of developers and
12 thousands of users for a handful of developers, who could do their jobs
13 just as well without stable KEYWORDS, and an nearly as small number of
14 users, just isn't worth it to us all. How many users do you really
15 think breaking some of these arches affects? If the architecture (or
16 its team) is incapable of maintaining stable KEYWORDS in a timely
17 manner, why should we care about them, again?
20 Chris Gianelloni
21 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
22 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
23 Games Developer/Foundation Trustee