From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 14:57:40
1 On 06/16/2016 02:51 AM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > On 16/06/16 09:39, Daniel Campbell wrote:
6 >> I guess what I mean is these outside developers could continue
7 >> hacking and/or breaking things, or whatever else, without worrying
8 >> about their "official" branch. We could have a standard that
9 >> assumes Gentoo pulls their 'master' branch and they keep other
10 >> stuff in 'dev', or some other model. We'll need to decide on *some*
11 >> branch, but putting it in writing would make things clearer for
12 >> prospective repo maintainers.
13
14 > OK, then I think that it would be a good idea to have a gentoo-ci
15 > branch, or similar, if the assumption is merely that this is where
16 > Gentoo developers will look when evaluating your repository.
17 >
18 Ok, if we go this route, here is a basic simple question. Why can't the
19 "gentoo-ci" be a package, or group of packages that runs in a private
20 persons own resources, regardless it is a single gentoo server or a
21 small cluster (openstack)? That way, those gentoo-ciruns can be
22 performed by the proxy or the author thus reducing the workload for QA
23 or other devs. I guess what I'm really asking is/will the gentoo-ci be
24 packaged up for the gentoo community to use, on a small set of packages?
25
26 Is that idea too difficult at this time?
27 Is there even a glep, or standard or part of PMS that will allow the
28 gentoo-ci solution to become a routine tool for all to use?
32 > Alexander
33 > bernalex@g.o
36 curiously,
37 James