From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming changes to hosting of Git repos on git.gentoo.org (NOT overlays.git.gentoo.org)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 08:56:03
1 On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 04:38:49AM +0200, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
2 > Assuming we're going to move the git.overlays.gentoo.org repos there as well
3 > in the near future, this is the structure i am proposing:
4 Yes, they will be merging, but not for many months. What _DO_ need, is
5 getting the namespaces to be identical as soon as possible, and
6 preventing namespace collisions for anything that gets added.
7
8 Two overall comments about your proposal.
9 1.
10 We EXPLICITLY need a location for private repositories.
11 - infra: for critical system data [1]
12 - foundation: for legal tracking, personal, financial information
13 - PR project: I don't know what they have in there. I've never looked at
14 their private repo.
15
16 The current breakdown of private repos:
17 Infra: 2
18 Foundation: 0, but 2 requested
19 PR: 1
20
21 > source
22 > - portage-main.git
23 > - portage-history.git
24 > infra (or sysadmin)
25 > - (repo1).git
26 > - (repo2).git
27 > - ...
28 - I don't think that infra should be a toplevel here. As much as we
29 intend to use repos, this is pollution of the namespace.
30
31 > overlay
32 > - project (instead of proj)
33 > - sunrise.git
34 > - kde.git
35 > - ...
36 > - personal (merge dev/ & user/)
37 > - aballier.git
38 > - alexxy.git
39 > - ...
40 - Some of the developer+user repos are NOT overlays, but Gentoo-specific
41 code/applications.
42 - On one hand, I would like user repositories to have a separate
43 namespace, so that other users realize a given repo is NOT from a
44 developer.
45 - On the other side, what do we do when a user with a repo becomes a
46 developer (and when they retire?)
47
48 > website
49 > - blogs.git
50 > - planet.git
51 > - forums.git
52 > - gstats.git
53 > - packages.git
54 > - www.git (the gentoo cvs repo)
55 > - ...
56 These are projects, why not include them there?
57
58 > project (includes SOC projects, forks, gentoo projects etc)
59 > - devmanual.git
60 > - portage.git
61 > - ...
62 devmanual IS a website...
63
64 How are you differentiating project vs. website?
65
66 [1] We intend on having public infra repos as well, and just having the
67 fewest private repos.
70 Robin Hugh Johnson
71 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
72 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
73 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85