From: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming changes to hosting of Git repos on git.gentoo.org (NOT overlays.git.gentoo.org)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 02:39:32
1 On Friday 21 January 2011 22:35:38 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > Hi everybody,
3 >
4 > Within the next week or two, the Infrastructure team hopes to have the
5 > Git repos hosted on the main VCS server migrated into Gitolite [4] for
6 > ease of management [1]. A more exact timeline will be published within
7 > the next few days.
8 >
9 > We would like to consider re-arranging the namespace of repositories at
10 > the same time. Suggestions are welcome (to the -dev list), the only idea
11 > we have so far is a set of top-level directories:
12 > proj/${PROJNAME}/${REPONAME}.git
13 > private/${PROJNAME}/${REPONAME}.git
14 > gentoo-portage.git [2]
15 > gentoo-portage-historical.git [2]
16 >
17 > The entirety of the proj/ namespace will be mirrored to
18 > sources.gentoo.org (and anon.gentoo.org). This replaces the selective
19 > mishmash of choosing repositories that are mirrored.
20 >
21 > When the change goes live, if you have a checkout from any of the
22 > following repositories, you will need to change your remote as follows:
23 > OLD:
24 > git+ssh://${USERNAME}@git.gentoo.org/var/gitroot/${REPO}.git
25 > NEW:
26 > git+ssh://git@××××××××××.org/${PATH}/${REPO}.git
27 >
28 > The easy way to do it:
29 > # git remote set-url ${REMOTENAME} ${NEWURL}
30 > REMOTENAME is usually 'origin', but advanced git users may have another
31 > name.
32 >
33 > It is applicable for the following repositories:
34 > /var/gitroot/devmanual.git [3]
35 > /var/gitroot/gentoo-viewvc-templates.git
36 > /var/gitroot/gstats.git
37 > /var/gitroot/packages.git
38 > (plus 3 private repositories that will be listed on gentoo-core)
39 >
40 > [1] Yes, this is one of the checkbox items on the way to hosting the
41 > main repositories in Git.
42 > [2] This is an idea where I'd like to place the main tree, and the
43 > additional graftable tree with the full history. I'm not entirely
44 > happy with this location, and WELCOME suggestions to improve it.
45 > [3] This is the old location, prior to the repository move to
46 > git.overlays.gentoo.org.
47 > [4] Thanks to idl0r for working on some modifications we needed.
50 Assuming we're going to move the git.overlays.gentoo.org repos there as well
51 in the near future, this is the structure i am proposing:
52
53 source
54 - portage-main.git
55 - portage-history.git
56 infra (or sysadmin)
57 - (repo1).git
58 - (repo2).git
59 - ...
60 overlay
61 - project (instead of proj)
62 - sunrise.git
63 - kde.git
64 - ...
65 - personal (merge dev/ & user/)
66 - aballier.git
67 - alexxy.git
68 - ...
69 website
70 - blogs.git
71 - planet.git
72 - forums.git
73 - gstats.git
74 - packages.git
75 - www.git (the gentoo cvs repo)
76 - ...
77 project (includes SOC projects, forks, gentoo projects etc)
78 - devmanual.git
79 - portage.git
80 - ...
81 --