From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP #10 -- Proposal for restructuring the CVS regarding documentation wrt internationalization proposal
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 13:07:42
1 On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 03:03:56PM +0300, Svyatogor wrote:
2 > Not only that. It is much less useful for the end user. However, in this
3 > case we'll have to develop some policy about these pages. Most users will
4 > see fr.gentoo.org or ru.gentoo.org as official gentoo homepages and we have
5 > to be careful on what we put there. The policy should cover various
6 > aspects, such as design (some team might want to change the layout of the
7 > page or just change the color scheme), content of the pages, people
8 > responsible for maintaining it up-to-date and accurate.
9
10 I agree that translating and maintaining the whole website is cumbersome to
11 say the least. What I was thinking about was something in the lines of
12 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/international.html (note: the links don't work,
13 probably never will :) as main page for http://en.gentoo.org (I take this as
14 an example because I assume all know English :)
15
16 From that main webpage, the visitor can reach the translated documentation or
17 a list of community websites.
18
19 Maintaining this is "easy":
20 * new translations get added as they are now,
21 + a newsitem on the site occurs explaining that there is a new
22 translation
23 * new community sites are added to two pages: the one which lists
24 all community sites, and a link on the left of each page
25 + a newsitem on the site occurs explaining that there is a new
26 community site
27
28 That's all there is to it. Ofcourse, newsitems regarding new (translated)
29 GWN's could be listed there too.
30
31 Just an idea, ofcourse.
32
33 Wkr,
34 Sven Vermeulen
35
36 PS gerrynjr: can you try changing your mailclient so it wraps its sentences
37 automatically?
41 Save some animals, eat a vegetarian.