From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@××××××.fm>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devs on IRC (was :Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support ))
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:35:28
1 On Wednesday 11 of March 2009 19:06:33 Thilo Bangert wrote:
2 > my complaint isn't about people using IRC. i object to the way that much
3 > of our knowledge, discussion and decision making process appear to have
4 > been moved into the temporal black hole that is IRC.
5
6 > realtime communication is an valuable tool, but IRC has drawbacks as well.
7 > this is alienating a lot of people who dont happen to be on IRC at the
8 > right moment/timezone or who dont have the time to be always on.
9
10 > it looks like many projects within Gentoo have resorted to a communication
11 > process which uses IRC exclusivly. this is unfortunate...
12
13 Hard to disagree with this.
14 I observed it myself - when I started maintaining ebuilds in overlay,
15 consequently I started to use IRC to be in touch with the rest of KDE Gentoo
16 team. Unfortunately it has some drawbacks like less my availability on forums
17 (and I used it much more often) - to the point that I forgot to update whole
18 4.2 release announcement in Desktop Environment (in that sticky "Read before
19 posting" thread).
20 IRC is black hole definitely and from developers point of view everything looks
21 just, as they actively communicating with each other - unfortunately being
22 somewhat isolated from the rest of the world.
23 This may increase that feeling from typical user point of view - that
24 developers are somewhere there cooking something, and there's no way to get to
25 them (unless they find about IRC).
26 This is the problem as most users used to sweep forums first as it's "medium"
27 available for them out of the box - just google for some problem and there you
28 are.
29
30 Now, important.
31 While I don't propose for developers to visit forums - it may be another
32 *solution*.
33 Developers - they (we/you) already chosen IRC as best/fastest/favourite medium
34 for communication apart from mailing list that is - it could stay that way.
35
36 Why not integrate more users by creating *Support* *staff* role?
37 They could be recruited as typical staff (like moderators) - using staff quiz.
38 Their "job" would be to:
39 - wander on forums answering user questions
40 - poke developers on IRC with some issues (maybe proposed patches)
41 - filling bugzilla bugs (they'd need some *basic* bugzilla knowledge - just to
42 be able to find whether are such issues already and to properly, descriptively
43 create new bug) - not full bugwrangling with assigning and such
44 - provide living evidence that "Gentoo is not dying" whatever and has support
45
46 They could be given @gentoo.org aliases to make them motivated.
47 It would be easier for those alike to become developers later.
48
49 There's thread related to user contribution on forums - as reference:
50 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-702248.html
51
52 (this should rather be discussed on gentoo-project I guess, but nm)
55 regards
56 MM