From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devs on IRC (was :Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support ))
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:07:02
1 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> said:
2 > On Tuesday 10 March 2009 14:15:36 Thilo Bangert wrote:
3 > > > Bugs aren't a good way to keep in touch with developers, that's
4 > > > what irc is for.
5 > >
6 > > while i dont necessarily think, that bugzi is the best way to stay in
7 > > contact with me, it surely is a better way than IRC - on which i am
8 > > close to never.
9 > >
10 > > the presumption seems to be, that as a dev one has to be available
11 > > via IRC. it has long been my feeling that Gentoo as a project could
12 > > realize more of its potential by better integrating people who dont
13 > > do IRC.
14 > >
15 > > kind regards
16 > > Thilo
17 >
18 > To be honest , I don't agree with that. Being around on irc is quite
19 > helpful to get direct feedback from users and fix bugs before they hit
20 > more users. This is a good way to reduce the amount of bugs that hit
21 > bugzilla.
22
23 my complaint isn't about people using IRC. i object to the way that much
24 of our knowledge, discussion and decision making process appear to have
25 been moved into the temporal black hole that is IRC.
26
27 realtime communication is an valuable tool, but IRC has drawbacks as well.
28 this is alienating a lot of people who dont happen to be on IRC at the
29 right moment/timezone or who dont have the time to be always on.
30
31 it looks like many projects within Gentoo have resorted to a communication
32 process which uses IRC exclusivly. this is unfortunate...
33
34 kind regards
35 Thilo