From: Aadi Deshpande <cilqproj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: Good ebuild examples to learn from - Was Re:[gentoo-dev] ebuild question
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:05:36
1 I think the best way is to study the steps progressively.
2
3 Once you've read the portage documentation ( and man files )
4 then start looking for simple packages that you could study each step off of..
5
6 net-misc/vnc was a good package for me to start with.
7 app-editors/jed is a little more advanced.
8 net-www/prozilla was also helpful
9 x11-libs/qt shows some neat sed tricks to overcome interactivity
10 app-editors/vim shows good use of 'USE' variable techniques.
11
12 Another alternative is to look at bugs.gentoo.org and find a broken ebuild bug and try to fix
13 that, thereby gaining experience through trial, error, and lots of questions.