From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:19:30
1 On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 11:33 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
2 > > In any event, what I'd like to raise is the issue of having a
3 > > (semi-)official version of gentoo that lags behind the cutting-edge distro
4 > > for stability. Is this feasible?
5 > >
6 > > Apologies if this is already being discussed elsewhere.
7 > >
8 > I appreciate that there is GLEP 19 according to earlier discussion on this
9 > list (from 2004).
10 >
11 > I guess I'm asking whether it's a) more feasible now (I'm guessing yes) and
12
13 It isn't.
14
15 > b) whether it's something that would have any support from current devs.
16
17 Probably not, considering even the people that were proponents of GLEP19
18 have dropped support for it.
19
20 Personally, I would prefer seeing my "release trees" idea take off.
21 Essentially, it freezes the tree at a certain point (which I just
22 coincide with our releases). Updates are security-only.
23
24 Now, this doesn't mean that *everything* must remain this way. For
25 example, there could be a 2007.0-r1 "tree" or something which is
26 2007.0's tree, with some major bug fixes. The real question is how much
27 manpower would it take to maintain such a tree and how much use would
28 "normal" users get out of it, as opposed to "enterprise" users?
29
30 I'm thinking of releasing a tarball for a "release tree" next time
31 around, just to see how it flies. The main question I have is whether
32 we'll have time.
35 Chris Gianelloni
36 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
37 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
38 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
39 Gentoo Foundation