From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] luajit global useflag
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 12:36:10
1 On 26 February 2015 at 22:44, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> napisał:
5 >
6 >> % quse -D luajit
7 >>local:luajit:app-editors/gvim: Use dev-lang/luajit instead of
8 >>dev-lang/lua
9 >>local:luajit:app-editors/vim: Use dev-lang/luajit instead of
10 >>dev-lang/lua
11 >>local:luajit:app-editors/vim-qt: Use dev-lang/luajit instead of
12 >>dev-lang/lua
13 >>local:luajit:games-action/minetest: Use dev-lang/luajit instead of
14 >>dev-lang/lua
15 >> local:luajit:games-engines/solarus: Use LuaJIT instead of default Lua.
16 >> local:luajit:games-roguelike/stone-soup: Use dev-lang/luajit as
17 >>scripting backend instead of dev-lang/lua.
18 >> local:luajit:media-sound/csound: Use the lua just-in-time compiler
19 >>dev-lang/luajit instead of dev-lang/lua
20 >>local:luajit:media-video/mpv: Use dev-lang/luajit instead of
21 >>dev-lang/lua
22 >> local:luajit:www-client/luakit: Use the lua just-in-time compiler
23 >>dev-lang/luajit instead of dev-lang/lua, which should make luakit
24 >>faster.
25 >> local:luajit:www-servers/nginx: Use dev-lang/luajit instead of
26 >>dev-lang/lua for lua support when building the lua http module.
27 >>
28 >>I propose we make luajit a global useflag, using the description from
29 >>media-sound/csound:
30 >>
31 >>Use the lua just-in-time compiler <pkg>dev-lang/luajit</pkg> instead
32 >>of <pkg>dev-lang/lua</pkg>
33 >
34 > How about we figure out how to handle multiple versions and interpreters sanely instead? Not that I mind USE=luajit but I do mind the huge conditionals with random USE flags like recently suggested for neovim.
37 That would be great going forward. But at this point it's a non-issue.
38 There is a choice between lua-5.1 and luajit. Other lua versions have
39 been masked since like forever. And I don't see that situation
40 changing anytime soon.
41
42 Or maybe one of the other lua package maintainers has plans?
45 Cheers,
46
47 Ben | yngwin
48 Gentoo developer