From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 16:39:44
1 On 08/07/2016 09:47 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 9:24 AM, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> As a team, we could have a simple default program for a simple default
5 >> disk format, and a variety of 'stage-4' images, maybe updated every 3
6 >> months, to get a gentoo system up, quickly. Not an anything you want it to
7 >> be, but a few, common choices. Perhaps a security apparatus, commonly
8 >> needed, built on the hardened project? (like a bridge or a firewall)?
11 > Sounds great. What's stopping you?
14 >> Heaven forbid that we put up a few dozen (unsupported) jentoo VMs,
15 >> container-images or stage-4 (specifically purposed) choices where
16 >> folks could only get support from jentoo-user. No sir, we cannot make jentoo
17 >> fun and enjoyable and quick (and sleazy) can we?
20 > Sounds great. What's stopping you?
23 >> And yes allow java, the way it is available on most other distros...
24 >> The current process of requiring all the java codes to be broken down into
25 >> 100% discernable codes is a tremendous barrier. After all, most of the codes
26 >> that use that stuff, are full of holes anyway; that's the very nature of
27 >> open, fast, exciting new codes. They only become secure
28 >> after years of vetting (fuzzing) anyway. So make the host gentoo image very
29 >> secure and allow jentoo projects to be a VM, or container or such
30 >> construct, without all the hassles of gentoo proper. Let the purist ensure
31 >> that gentoo is secure and isolated and let the multitude play with java,
32 >> however they like (in a VM, or a container image or a stage-4).
35 > Sounds great. What's stopping you?
38 Why Rich, thanks for the triple compliments; is that a vote that the
39 basic idea(s) have merit, or sarcasm?
40
41 We are all part of a village, so feedback is warmly received, regardless
42 of the nature of the prose....
43
44 As you probably know, I have been working on many of these issues, for a
45 variety of reason.
48 James