From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 14:47:53
1 On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 9:24 AM, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > As a team, we could have a simple default program for a simple default
4 > disk format, and a variety of 'stage-4' images, maybe updated every 3
5 > months, to get a gentoo system up, quickly. Not an anything you want it to
6 > be, but a few, common choices. Perhaps a security apparatus, commonly
7 > needed, built on the hardened project? (like a bridge or a firewall)?
10 Sounds great. What's stopping you?
13 > Heaven forbid that we put up a few dozen (unsupported) jentoo VMs,
14 > container-images or stage-4 (specifically purposed) choices where
15 > folks could only get support from jentoo-user. No sir, we cannot make jentoo
16 > fun and enjoyable and quick (and sleazy) can we?
19 Sounds great. What's stopping you?
22 > And yes allow java, the way it is available on most other distros...
23 > The current process of requiring all the java codes to be broken down into
24 > 100% discernable codes is a tremendous barrier. After all, most of the codes
25 > that use that stuff, are full of holes anyway; that's the very nature of
26 > open, fast, exciting new codes. They only become secure
27 > after years of vetting (fuzzing) anyway. So make the host gentoo image very
28 > secure and allow jentoo projects to be a VM, or container or such
29 > construct, without all the hassles of gentoo proper. Let the purist ensure
30 > that gentoo is secure and isolated and let the multitude play with java,
31 > however they like (in a VM, or a container image or a stage-4).
34 Sounds great. What's stopping you?
37 Rich