From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 12:16:51
1 On 08/07/2016 02:38 AM, Consus wrote:
2 > On 08:48 Sun 07 Aug, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> Sure we do. In the meantime, nobody uses gentoo anymore because it
4 >> still can't deal with accepting contributions and in the meantime the
5 >> few last developers retired, and users long ago switched to the
6 >> comparatively recent distribution of Debian stable.
7 >
8 > Finally the voice of reason.
9
10 Reasonable? Are you kidding?
11 <rolling on the floor with laughter, uncontrollably >
12
13 In this day and age, quick installs are the mantra, either for VMs or
14 containers or workstations, particularly for
15 application-specific-servers or a variety of security apparatus.
16 Although the 'handbook' is an excellent reference guide and noob-filter,
17 the simple fact of the matter is most (nix) professionals consider the
18 gentoo install system to be arcane and an incredible 'cost barrier to
19 entry'. THAT, the lack of a well thought out, smooth, quick/easy install
20 which is intentionally not available, because it is seen as a satanic
21 idea, is the 800 pound gorilla on why folks passionately avoid gentoo.....
24 As a team, we could have a simple default program for a simple default
25 disk format, and a variety of 'stage-4' images, maybe updated every 3
26 months, to get a gentoo system up, quickly. Not an anything you want it
27 to be, but a few, common choices. Perhaps a security apparatus, commonly
28 needed, built on the hardened project? (like a bridge or a firewall)?
31 Then index the noob questions received from the jentoo-users ML, into
32 the handbook or companion documents, in a hyperlinked FAQ. Folks could
33 then work the question/support board of jentoo-user before being
34 accepted into jproxy-maint. JProxy-maint would then need to become a
35 collection of docs to read, a half dozen ebuilds to update and then
36 bang, junior-dev status where folks can work on non-critical parts of
37 the jentoo tree. And there could be a 'bypass exam' that if you know
38 the basics of *nix and shell, you could jump straight into contributing
39 on jentoo. Or better yet:: (Fork the tree for the jproxy-maint and
40 junior-devs to run themselves. That fork could be limited to a few
41 security appliance(s) system, and an embedded jentoo system (rasp. pi)
42 and a firewall/bridge. Let them use java* codes, as that is what all the
43 universities are teaching and promoting. I agree with gentoo proper on
44 severely restricting java*, on gentoo-proper, but that sort of thing is
45 killing gentoo and just appears to the open world as a filter mechanism
46 to keep out and go elsewhere, snoot. There are just too many exciting
47 and useful codes out there running java.
50 After 12 years of using gentoo, the gentoo install semantics, still are
51 abysmal, imho. I just fundamentally disagree with forcing folks to first
52 endure the handbook before getting any gentoo (working gentoo system)
53 gratification. That is why 'Debian/buntu' has market share over us. Here
54 is a very useful "canned" install that, if emulated, would give gentoo
55 reams of "kudos" or "atta-boys" should we publish (provide) something
56 like this.[1]
57
58 [1] http://blog.securityonion.net/
61 "Security Onion is a Linux distro for intrusion detection, network
62 security monitoring, and log management. It's based on Ubuntu and
63 contains Snort, Suricata, Bro, OSSEC, Sguil, Squert, ELSA, Xplico,
64 NetworkMiner, and many other security tools. The easy-to-use Setup
65 wizard allows you to build an army of distributed sensors for your
66 enterprise in minutes!"
69 We could even call it "jentoo", as it could be labeled to indicate it
70 is for junior developers to experiment, learn, grow and then become a
71 fleeting-gentoo-dev found @ gentoo-dev proper. And yes enjoy the latest
72 of from the (insecure) java world.
75 Restated:: the current (lack) of a slick, simple & quick install
76 semantic, is what's killing gentoo, if it is dying. What I run into are
77 reams of deeply accomplished technical folks that use gentoo regularly
78 and like the current filters that run off the less astute, imho. YMMV.
79 Most all other rolling distros have a much simpler installation
80 semantic, if not a variety of easy install options and ways to participate.
81
82 Perhaps a well defined OS model, where gentoo can run (secure) VMs or
83 containers from jentoo? That would expand the model of usage and
84 encourage inclusion, provide a pathway to the ultimate gentoo-dev status
85 and encourage innovation (and failure) all in a secure model?
86
87 Heaven forbid that we put up a few dozen (unsupported) jentoo VMs,
88 container-images or stage-4 (specifically purposed) choices where
89 folks could only get support from jentoo-user. No sir, we cannot make
90 jentoo fun and enjoyable and quick (and sleazy) can we?
93 And yes allow java, the way it is available on most other distros...
94 The current process of requiring all the java codes to be broken down
95 into 100% discernable codes is a tremendous barrier. After all, most of
96 the codes that use that stuff, are full of holes anyway; that's the very
97 nature of open, fast, exciting new codes. They only become secure
98 after years of vetting (fuzzing) anyway. So make the host gentoo image
99 very secure and allow jentoo projects to be a VM, or container or such
100 construct, without all the hassles of gentoo proper. Let the purist
101 ensure that gentoo is secure and isolated and let the multitude play
102 with java, however they like (in a VM, or a container image or a stage-4).
103
104 You have to look at CoreOS and conclude that even folks with deep
105 expertise and deep pockets want an easy install (even roll-back) OS.
109 hth,
110 James