From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] variable quoting, setting optional variables to "", and depending on virtual/libc
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:19:51
1 On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 00:30:04 -0700
2 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > If I have a package that produces a dynamic (non-static) binary, and
5 > it has no other deps, then I throw in virtual/libc.
6 >
7 > If it produces a static binary only, or no binary, then it gets "".
8
9 If you're going to do that, static binaries would usually depend on
10 virtual/libc to be built (using libc.a) so it would be in DEPEND but
11 explicitly removed from RDEPEND.
12
13 > What I would like to see at some point, is a real way of differencing
14 > packages that really have no runtime dependencies - not even anything
15 > in the system packages. As to what the best way to go about it, I'm
16 > not certain, but I do think specifying a few packages:
17 > virtual/compiler, virtual/libc and a few limited things from system
18 > packages should be ok. Or maybe even virtual/system (with the
19 > compiler removed from that virtual).
22 Kevin F. Quinn