From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] variable quoting, setting optional variables to "", and depending on virtual/libc
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:37:36
1 On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:02:27PM -0700, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o> wrote:
3 > > What is the proper quoting style for using epatch? In the tree there
4 > > are about 3 different styles...
5 > <snip>
6 > > What is the proper quoting style for defining the S variable? In the
7 > > tree there are about 3 different styles...
8 > It might be prudent to quote the variables, in case somebody, for
9 > whatever reason, has strange characters in assorted paths.
10 >
11 > > What is the purpose of setting DEPEND and RDEPEND to "" if DEPEND and
12 > > RDEPEND are optional[1][2]? Isn't that just a waste of disk space /
13 > > bandwidth? DEPEND="virtual/libc" seems like a waste too as it is an
14 > > implicit system dependency[3], any reason for using it?
15 > >
16 > > DEPEND="" # used by 1479 ebuilds
17 > > RDEPEND="" # used by 884 ebuilds
18 > These two are probably not necessary, but some devs might prefer to use
19 > them in their ebuilds for the sake of explicitly stating the implied.
20 >
21 > > DEPEND="virtual/libc" # used by 809 ebuilds
22 > There are opinions on both sides of this subject, but I think that most
23 > devs are starting to see the value in this. If a package requires some
24 > other package, say so. It may be a bit more work (twelve keystrokes),
25 > but it's worth the extra effort (twelve keystrokes) to be complete.
26 If I have a package that produces a dynamic (non-static) binary, and it
27 has no other deps, then I throw in virtual/libc.
28
29 If it produces a static binary only, or no binary, then it gets "".
30
31 What I would like to see at some point, is a real way of differencing
32 packages that really have no runtime dependencies - not even anything in
33 the system packages. As to what the best way to go about it, I'm not
34 certain, but I do think specifying a few packages: virtual/compiler,
35 virtual/libc and a few limited things from system packages should be ok.
36 Or maybe even virtual/system (with the compiler removed from that
37 virtual).
40 Robin Hugh Johnson
41 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
42 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85