From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for March 26
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:09:01
1 Am Sonntag, den 22.03.2009, 20:38 +0000 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh:
2 > On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 21:18:52 +0100
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 > > If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even vote
5 > > on, let us know! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole Gentoo dev
6 > > list to see.
7 >
8 > Continuing the whole EAPI 3 thing...
9 >
10 > http://github.com/ciaranm/pms/tree/eapi-3 is a draft based upon
11 > ongoing discussion. There's more or less one commit per new feature. For
12 > each feature, I'd like to know:
13 >
14 > * whether there are any objections to that feature as a candidate for
15 > EAPI 3
16 >
17 > * what the plan is for Portage implementation of that feature, and the
18 > likelihood of it making it
19 I already started to implement small proposals for portage. For some
20 issues some minor structural/architectural have to be made.
23 > * whether that feature is considered critical for EAPI 3, or whether it
24 > can be dropped if necessary if Portage can't get it implemented
25 > within a certain time
26 >
27 > Also, I'd like to know of any potential omissions.
28 >
29 > I'd imagine this'd go easier of Council members went through before the
30 > meeting and provided individual opinions on each item, and then just
31 > discussed any disagreements during the meeting, but whatever's best for
32 > you...
33 >
34 > This list might help for those who're scared of git:
35 >
36 > 1) EAPI 3 has pkg_pretend.
37 We have to write something here (probably not in PMS but in the
38 devmanual) to make clear what is allowed in pkg_pretend and what not.
39
40 > 2) EAPI 3 supports slot operator dependencies
41 > 3) EAPI 3 has use dependency defaults
42 > 4) PROPERTIES, DEFINED_PHASES mandatory in EAPI 3
43 > 5) EAPI 3 has a default src_install
44 Spec needed. DOCS or no DOCS?
45
46 > 6) EAPI 3 has controllable compression and docompress
47 > 7) EAPI 3 has dodoc -r
48 > 8) EAPI 3 requires doins support for symlinks
49 Current behaviour is to copy the file the symlink points to, right?
50 Is that behaviour unsafe and should be deprecated completely or do we
51 add a flag turning on the new/the old behaviour?
52
53 > 9) EAPI 3 bans || ( use? ( ... ) )
54 > 10) dohard and dosed banned in EAPI 3
55 > 11) doinclude, newinclude for EAPI 3
56 > 12) EAPI 3 supports .xz, .tar.xz
57 > 13) EAPI 3 has more econf arguments
58 > 14) EAPI 3 supports pkg_info on installed packages
59 you probably mean: uninstalled
60
61 > 15) USE is stricter in EAPI 3
62 Proper documentation for IUSE_IMPLICIT/USE_EXPAND_IMPLICIT is needed. In
63 the PMS draft there's only a reference to section 11.1.1, but in that
64 section is nothing about it.
65
66 > 16) AA, KV gone in EAPI 3
67 > 17) S to WORKDIR fallback conditional for EAPI 3
68 > 18) EAPI 3 has unpack --if-compressed, new src_unpack
69 > 19) RDEPEND=DEPEND gone in EAPI 3
70 > 20) EAPI 3 has doexample.
71 Including "-r" or implicit recursive?
72
73 > 21) REPLACING_VERSIONS and REPLACED_BY_VERSION in EAPI 3
74 Same thing as for 1)
75
76 > 22) EAPI 3 has nonfatal, utilities die
77
78 ... and we've got most (if not all) proposals with reasons documented
79 here:
80 http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/docs/EAPI3.html
81
82 Cheers,