From: "Brian D. Harring" <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting build deps out from depends
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:47:56
1 On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 08:35:36PM +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
2 > If the point is to make dependencies complete, isn't there a way to
3 > build in some support for detecting it into some tool or other?
4 >
5 > If we have a program that can create an environment and detect which
6 > programs are run within the environment (maybe sandbox can do this,
7 > maybe something with LD_PRELOAD, I'm sure we can think of something),
8 > then we can build a list of programs that are run during the build.
9 > If we have such a list, we can find out which packages are required
10 > to provide the tools in the list.
11 >
12 > Such a tool could be used to generate the correct build dependencies
13 > automatically or verify the existing bdeps.
14 Not tenuable
15
16 What you're effectivelly suggesting is that portage stomp ahead and,
17 hit a failure, try and figure out what atom would fix the failure,
18 retry, wash rinse repeat.
19
20 Short version is that what you're proposing is basically a set of
21 tricks portage knows about to deal with failures; the problem is that
22 these failures can manifest themselves in a lot of crazy ways.
23
24 Aside from that, LD_PRELOAD style hacks aren't exactly easy to do on
25 osx (got a dyld equiv, but have yet to see anyone do a sandbox equiv
26 via it).
27 ~harring