From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reusing systemd unit file format / forking systemd (was: Going against co-maintainer's wishes (ref. bug 412697))
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 08:32:20
1 On 26 May 2013 15:37, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 26 May 2013 00:14:36 +0800
3 > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Systemd is diametrically opposed to the FreeBSD, customization,
6 >> extreme configurability, and top-notch developer community aspects of
7 >> that. Systemd upstream developers have made it abundantly clear they
8 >> are not interested in working with Gentoo developers to see to the
9 >> needs of source-based distros. They stand for vertical integration
10 >> instead of customization and configurability.
11 >>
12 >> And you misunderstood: it is systemd that is aggressively opposed to
13 >> Gentoo. But apparently that doesn't bother some of our developers and
14 >> Gentoo is becoming more and more welcoming to it.
15 >
16 > By the way, we should really keep the separation between systemd itself
17 > and the unit files. I agree that systemd is not the best thing we could
18 > have. But the unit file format is, er, good enough -- and has
19 > the advantage of eventually taking a lot of work from our shoulders.
20 >
21 > Although some of the ideas (esp. wrt targets) are near to crazy
22 > and awfully hard to understand, that's what we have and trying to do
23 > something else is eventually going to make people's lives harder.
24 >
25 > We should *really* work on supporting the unit files within OpenRC
26 > (aside to init.d files). That's a way to at least:
27 >
28 > a) reuse the work that has been done upstream already (when it was
29 > done),
30 >
31 > b) have common service names and startup behavior in all relevant
32 > distros (which is really beneficial to the users).
33 >
34 > Considering the design of OpenRC itself, it wouldn't be *that hard*.
35 > Actually, a method similar to one used in oldnet would simply work.
36 > That is, symlinking init.d files to a common 'systemd-wrapper'
37 > executable which would parse the unit files.
38
39 I think this idea actually makes sense. Re-using upstream work seems a
40 logical idea, and could ease maintenance. Of course the issue is
41 whether the OpenRC devs see any benefit in this.
42
43 > On the completely different topic, I agree that systemd design is far
44 > from the best and the way it's maintained is just bad. I was interested
45 > in the past in creating an improved alternative using compatible file
46 > format and libraries, while choosing a better design, improving
47 > portability and keeping stuff less integrated.
48 >
49 > But the fact is -- I doubt it will make sense, much like the eudev
50 > project. And it will take much more work, and give much less
51 > appreciation.
52 >
53 > First of all, working on it will require a lot of work. Seeing how
54 > large systemd become and how rapidly it is developing, establishing
55 > a good alternative (even dropping such useless parts as the Journal)
56 > will take at least twice that work.
57 >
58 > Then, it will require people working on it. People who know the details
59 > of various systems and who are willing to spend their time on it.
60 > And there wouldn't be much of people really willing to work on it.
61 >
62 > The systemd haters will refuse the project because of its resemblance
63 > to systemd. The systemd lovers will refuse it because of its
64 > resemblance to systemd. And the OpenRC lovers will want to design it
65 > to resemble OpenRC which is just pointless. Then the few remaining
66 > people will find systemd 'good enough'.
67 >
68 > And even if there are a few people who will want to work on it,
69 > and design a 'good systemd', they wouldn't get much appreciation.
70 > Fedora definitely won't care for it. It would have to be really
71 > definitely awesome for most Linux distros to even notice it.
72 > And I doubt *BSD people would be interested in something external.
73 >
74 > It is possible that systemd upstream will steal a few patches or ideas
75 > from it. Yet they will never apply any of the really important changes,
76 > so the project will have to be maintained indefinitely. The only hope
77 > for it would be to win over systemd users which I doubt will happen.
78 >
79 > So there's a lot of work, no fame or money in it, and most likely more
80 > work being the only future. Anyone volunteering?
81
82 I agree it would be pretty hard to carve out a niche for this.
83 Personally I would see more in runit.
86 Cheers,
87
88 Ben | yngwin
89 Gentoo developer